Saturday, April 9, 2011

Le Bistro

Our small metropolis isn't exactly on the cutting edge of liberal policy, but you wouldn't think that we have a booming population of homosexuals clamoring for a place to call their own. However, we have not just one, but two gay bars. Thursday night was karaoke night at The Bistro and our friend David (who is gay) asked us to go.

I love karaoke, so I jumped at the chance.

I won't sum up the entire night for you (we were only there for maybe two hours) but there were high points and higher points:

-We saw someone we work with at Flarget. I never really talked to her, presuming we had nothing to talk about. Also, she doesn't really exude an "I'm friendly, talk to me!" sort of vibe. But the next time I see her I will not be able to think of anything but her kissing upon her girlfriend and something about that calms me about our lack of conversation. It was sweet.

-Punk/Goth lesbian singing Pink and walking around the bar. We looked away for one second and when we looked back Jay said, "Wait...who is singing?!"

-Jay: "That guy just pinched my ass." Enough said.

-Old patron giving me a fist-bump after my rendition of "Criminal" by Fiona Apple (which went much better than when I did it in California).

-Jay's description of the place: Dark, sweaty and sticky. All three are completely factual. But you get over it when you take into consideration the different levels of people there are to enjoy, how much everyone digs on each other and this general feeling of "We don't give a damn, we're here to have fun, go to hell if you don't like it."

The three of us sat in a balcony-type area on barstools for a while while a bunch of people played pool behind us. I realized we were just gazing down into the milieu of people, talking about the current singer. "It feels like we're up here judging everyone." David laughed and then proceeded to pretend to be writing things down in a judgmental manner.

It was a good time. I will be happy to spend the occasional Thursday night out there. You should come too!

No comments:

Post a Comment