Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Spring...Break?

Apparently someone in Italy and someone in Russia viewed my blog recently...

I'm down with that.

So this is my spring break which, if you are a college student over the age of 20, you will know is not actually a break but a week-long allowance that we get from the university/college to do the incredible amounts of work that we've amassed so far in the semester. Not out of procrastination, but because professors work this week into their assignment budget. It's like a spending spree in which students are required to learn and prove that learning while educators (and not all of them) do not quite as much.

However, this is also the week that the younger crowd (so college students 18-19 who haven't stepped into their majors yet) go away for a whole week and take time off of work to do so. That leaves a lot of hours open in the retail business for people like me to pick up. I'm totally cool with working more hours because I'm totally cool with having money. However, here's how a phone conversation went with someone dealing with the schedule for this week:

"What's your availability for spring break?"
"Well...I mean...I have open availability but..."
"So I can schedule you for 40 hours?!"
"...but I have papers to write and quite a bit of work to do..."
"So how many hours?"
"Uhm..."
"Because about 11 people have taken that week off *shuffles papers around* Oh...more than 11."
"Well...I need the money so, I'd say no more than 35 hours."
"Okay. That's how many I'll put you down for!"

35.75 hours is what I'm working this week. Luckily, I have Thursday off in which I can do some catching up. It might not be so frustrating if I didn't work until 10:30-11:00 at night because it's not like I can do work when I get home. And trying to start a paper or, indeed, get back into a paper that you started yesterday is difficult to do when you know you need to get ready for work in a few hours. It's possible, but difficult.

That's all I have for today. Maybe I'll suddenly become more fascinating next time I post.

No comments:

Post a Comment