Sunday, March 13, 2011

Time To Mellow

My job is not difficult all the time. Like any other job, it has its moments where when I'm performing it I wish very much that I wasn't. This past week was a rotten one work-wise and life-wise (on the fiscal end) and I have done nothing but complain about it since it started.

Last night when Jay and I got home from closing together, I pissed and moaned about the entire night, how busy I was, how little recognition I get for what I do while his job is "where its at" as far as getting recognized for doing well. This is a very common conversation. So common, in fact, that he interrupted my rant to throw it right back at me, almost word-for-word what I was going to say. Then proceeded to clarify that his job is often just as thankless as mine is.

Wake up, Meg. Complaining does nothing to help anything. It just makes you feel worse and more exhausted than you already are. Also: You're pissing off people you love.

So: Stop it. Just stop it.

Today (at work, believe it or not) I decided to make a change in how I run myself. I will not complain: about work, about money, about school, about family, about anything. If I feel the urge to complain...well...I'm working on that. Changing my train of thought to another track is really hard. Getting the train to stop altogether or even slow down is damn near impossible for me but I'm going to make a conscious effort to chill out about everything from now on.

I WILL get over myself. Ironically I'm waiting for a humbling experience to come along and sit my ass down on the metaphorical pavement and tell me, "Look, this is how it's going to happen from now on."

2 comments:

  1. Meg, I seriously got into the same rut and was feeling really dumpy about it all week. ALL WEEK. Actually, it was most likely all month. Perhaps all year. Ok, senior year has gotten the better of me. There you have it. Positivity does have quite a pull, though. A good friend reminded me that the only thing that'll get me is my negativity. If I smile, even though I'm not feeling like smiling, things will slowly unfold as they should. I realize the solution isn't so automatic, but realize that I'm right there with you. Let's have a code word for needing to cope.... um.... "zebra." Ok, go!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, my number is 630-991-8788. Picture message on!

    ReplyDelete