Monday, February 28, 2011

Waiting...For A Spazzing Liver

So...yesterday was fun.

Saturday night, while Jay and I were at my parents' house doing free laundry (and watching Hercules, the Disney version, because we're cool kids), all of a sudden he started feeling sharp pains in his lower right abdomen. He would wince and hold his side while sucking in a quick breath. We called several people (my mom, his family and one of our HR ladies from work [if you know her, you know what I mean when I say she's like having another mom]). After describing the symptoms we were convinced it was his appendix.

Sleeping Saturday night was next to impossible for the both of us. He couldn't sleep in the bed for fear of keeping me up all night, but the couch was less-than-comfortable for him, so he went from one to the other a few times.

Sunday morning his pain was more constant but less intense. So we decided to go to the closest prompt care...and wait. And wait...and then he went in! And then came back out to wait some more...dad came by after breakfast with friends in town and then mom came out to look after us while we endeavored to get him better.

Prompt care sent us out to the hospital to get him an ultrasound (the entire reason we went to that prompt care was because I thought they had an ultrasound. And there was a prompt care at the hospital that we clearly should have gone to first and you'll see why in a minute). The ultrasound tech was on call...so we waited an hour for her to show up. One ultrasound later, the tech could see his appendix, which is unusual and "suspicious," so she ordered a CT scan.

Jay drank "irradiated banana," and we waited for over another hour for the barium to get into his system. He was scanned and came back to the waiting room. The nurse said we needed to go back to prompt care to wait for the results.

Okay.

Another car-ride later, we were waiting in the same place we came into 6 hours previously that morning. After waiting one last time, Jay went in to hear the results. Turns out he has a viral infection in his liver which was causing it to swell which was pushing his appendix out, which was why it was visible in an ultrasound. He's on anti-nausea medication and I guess there's no medication to treat the liver itself. I suppose he just has to ride it out. It's a bummer that we had to go through a sonogram, a CT scan and 6 hours of sitting in order to find this out, but them's the brakes. Luckily the hospital offers an application for charity for the uninsured towards the bill which we filled out promptly and I have to return to them.

We're both tired and he's nauseous and in pain. I worked 6-10 this morning and went to my clinical observation site from 12-3. Now I'm...well...I'm blogging, let's be honest. But I do have homework to do before tomorrow and I'm a little backed up after yesterday.

This is all part of being married or even just committing yourself to someone in general. I was tired, I didn't want to be there, I had other things to do and I had to put my personal life on hold for his liver and his well-being, but I was not bothered by it. I find myself wanting to fore-go everything else and stay home making sure he's alright. There isn't much I can do for him save for make him comfortable. But dammit I'll be the best pillow-fluffer and blanket-bringer that I can be!

((Cross-Posted at Holy Matrimony!))

No comments:

Post a Comment